“The Price is Right”
Goal of the game is to estimate the square root closest to the exact answer.
- Used with 8th graders
Supplies: All students get whiteboards, markers and erasers.
- Show “Price is Right” clip
- Do one practice round—give students a square root to estimate. Have them compare their response to the actual answer (do it on the calculator). As a class decide who is closest. Show them that if they provide more decimal places they have a better chance of winning.
- Call down the first four “contestants” with their whiteboards (using sticks).
- Give students a square root to estimate. All students estimate the square root to support the contestants.
- The “contestant” with the closest estimate wins that round.
- After all students have had an opportunity to participate, do a final round (or a couple semi then a final round) to get an over winner!