Submitted by Era
Integer War Game
In this lesson, students will:
- Learn how to add integers (2 or more integers together)
- Learn how to subtract integers
- Learn how to multiply integers
Session time: (50 minutes) but can be continued for several days introducing new concepts
- One deck of cards for every pair of students
- White board or chalk board to write game rules
Vocabulary – integer, positive, negative, grouping.
- Know what an integer means.
- Know what positive means.
- Know what negative means.
- Know how to group integers.
- pair your students
- instruct your students whose first name comes first in the alphabet will cut the cards and hand the other ½ cards to your partner.
- Tell your students that they will play a game where, at the command GO, each player will turn up one card from their stack of cards and lay them on the desk surface.
- Black cards represent positive integers and the red cards represents negative integers.
- To win the cards they will combine the integers quicker than their partner
- One player is responsible for saying GO to initiate each round
- Face cards will have the value of 10 or -10 depending on the color of the card. Aces are 1 or -1 depending on color of card.
- Students are not allowed to think out loud, they can only shout out the answer. At the command of GO both players must lay their card down simultaneously. One play can not delay or peak at card while laying card down.
The object of the game for each player is to win more cards than the player’s opponent. This game can be played several days just by adding new concepts to the game. The object of the game for each player is to win more cards than the player’s opponent. This game can be played several days just by adding new concepts to the game.
One thought on “Integer War Game”